Mercury Redstone Builders Kit 1/17.5th scale for 3.90 Tube
- Our Mercury Redstone “Builders Kit” is the easy way to build a beautiful scale flying model of the vehicle that launched the first Americans into space
- Kit is crafted from quality 3D-printed ABS parts and includes:
- A highly-detailed Mercury capsule with skin corrugations, door, window, and RCS jet detail
- An easy-to-build escape tower.
- A screw-on shoulder with an internal compartment for nose weight
- Four Redstone fins with fillets and con-formal root edges
- Two piece motor mount with screw-on motor retention
- Includes launch lugs & rail guides
- Pull plug covers
- Full booster vinyl decals (upper roll pattern, vertical United States, and MR 7 boxes)
- Includes step-by-step Assembly Instructions
Turn heads at any rocket launch with the Boyce Aerospace Hobbies Mercury Redstone “Builders Kit.” This easy-to-build kit is a flying model of the vehicle that launched the first Americans into space. It is comprised of high-quality 3D-printed ABS parts and includes a highly detailed Mercury capsule and escape tower, motor mount, launch lugs and rail guides, pull plug covers, screw-on motor retainer (29mm), decals and step-by-step building instructions. Complete your Mercury Redstone “Builders Kit” with paint and glue.
Boyce Aerospace Hobbies recommends hobbyists under the age of 13 be supervised by an adult at all times.
I built the smaller 1:35 version with the Boyce fin can so I moved up and ordered the 1:17.5 kit. Rather than a complete plastic fin can, the fins and port covers are the only plastic parts. I'm waiting for my tubes to arrive from another vendor but I've built what I can so far. The plastic parts have all been filler primed and sanded. The capsule and escape tower are complete. Happily the capsule is much closer to scale than the odd ball Estes version, although it is lacking the "United States" decal. I highly recommend using a longer mmt tube than 8.5". A 15" tube is better and move the mount further up - this will move the CG further up and you will have less ejection volume to pressurize. I also epoxied 12g of steel balls into the very top of the escape tower rocket motor casing to maximize the effect on the CG while requiring less weight in the capsule base. I attached two attachment points on the capsule (at the base and at the tower's shoulder) to bring it down softly to earth using one 'chute for the capsule and a separate one for the main rocket. My changes should actually make the rocket slightly lighter than the stock design. I'm beginning to wonder if its is possible for Boyce to create an even large 1:9.3 scale version to fit a 7.5" body tube?
I'm Glad That I Placed The Ordered
I am looking forward to launch day. It will definitely turn a lot of heads at the field. The Builders Kit is fantastic, the detail of the parts are that of a scale non flying model. I'm glad that I placed the order.
Excellent- can’t wait for the build!!!
1:17 Mercury Redstone
This is an absolutely fantastic kit! The contents are packaged very carefully, the parts are clear and crisp, instructions are excellent, and construction is very straightforward. The capsule is a work of art-very detailed and precise.
Great service and products
Web ordering was very simple. Products expertly packaged and delivered in perfect condition. Excellent experience!