New “Apollo Abort Capsule Kit” (24mm) only $60.00 plus $10.00 shipping!
Our first new offering of 2019 is now available, the Apollo Abort Capsule Kit! This kit was inspired by the original KosRox Apollo pad abort test rocket kit from the 1990’s. It is almost the same scale as the original KosRox kit with our kit sized at 1/27th scale. That’s about where the similarities end. Our kit is 3D printed ABS plastic with only 2 paper tubes used (one as the motor tube and the other as the main body of the escape tower). Our kit is easy to assemble and includes everything needed to fly the model except 12″ parachutes, a 24 mm model rocket motor and a launch pad. A complete set of vinyl decals and instructions is included.
The model is a replica of PA-2 the second of the Apollo pad abort tests conducted at White Sands, New Mexico on June 29, 1965, 13:01:54 UTC. Pad Abort Test 2 was a follow up mission to investigate the effects on the Apollo spacecraft during an abort from the pad. The launch escape system (LES) had to be able to pull the spacecraft away from an exploding rocket on the launch pad. The LES then had to gain enough altitude to allow the command module’s parachutes to open, preferably with the spacecraft over water and not land. The flight featured a production model LES and a boilerplate (BP-06) Apollo spacecraft, the first mission to feature one. The spacecraft carried no instruments for measuring structural loads as the capsule’s boilerplate structure did not represent that of a real spacecraft.
Our model flies on an Estes 24 mm D12-3 or higher impulse 24 mm Aerotech composite motor. Using a D12-3 the model flys to 200 feet where the escape tower is jettisoned pulling the main chutes from the capsule. The capsule and escape tower are recovered separately on there own chutes. The model is approx 18″ tall and 5.5 inches across its base. The kit is a real crowd pleaser and a great small field flyer! It also makes a great display model. Get yours today for only $60.00 plus $10.00 shipping.
Preview of future BAH offerings in 2019:
We’re working on a few things to help celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Apollo moon landing. Here’s a preview of new offerings for 2019:
- February 2019 – 1/100 Scale Saturn I SA-5 (24mm) (postponed until mid-March)
- March 2019 – 1/100th Scale Saturn I SA-7 (24mm)
- April 2019 – 1/100th Scale Saturn IB (24mm)
- May 2019 – 1/100th Scale Saturn V (1-24mm x 4-18mm cluster)
- June 2019 – LEM (Big Maybe) 24mm
- After the Anniversary kits we’ll offer:
- July 2019 – Redesigned Nike Hercules kit (1/14th Scale)
- August 2019 – Nike Ajax Kit (1/14th Scale)
- September 2019 – LTV Scout Upscale (29mm)
- October 2019 – 1/17.Scale Juno I or II (29mm)
- November 2019 – Customers vote #1 (email us and vote for your dream kit at: firstname.lastname@example.org and enter November vote in the subject line)
- December 2019 – Customers vote #2 (email us and vote for your dream kit at: email@example.com and enter December vote in the subject line)